The south east army command used an underground brigade headquarters in 1940 located on Canterbury road in Sarre. This was manned by Canadian troops. There were similar bases located at Canterbury, Reigate and Tunbridge Wells. The tunnels are approx. 50ft underground and originally had three entrances.. These entrances were blocked after the war and then bulldozed making it very hard to determine there exact location. One still remains accessible.
The main tunnel
The last remaining staircase in a good condition
At the end of the main tunnel is a spur
Directly in front of the spur is another entrance
Looking down what used to be the staircase
The entrance – now backfilled
Back in the chalk tunnel there are three small rooms. Some of these still have the original signs on the entrances.
And finally at the furthest point of the chalk tunnel is the third entrance