Subject: Report - Guilford Shaft, July 2009 Tue May 25, 2010 6:25 am
Guilford shaft was built in approx. 1797. It runs down through the cliffs of Dover from the grounds of the castle and emerges approx ¾ down at Mote’s Bulwark. The Guilford shaft comprises of 4 sets of spiral staircases and connecting tunnels/rooms. Mote’s Bulwark is a moated fortification at the foot of the cliffs. This along with the shaft is currently not open to the public due to health and safety and that the elderly and disabled could not access it!
These tunnels have been kept in an emaculate condition due to the fact EH don't want anyone in there so there is no damage or graffiti like you would find in many sites around dover.
Here are the plans for the Guilford shaft (sorry about the poor quality)
Now on with the pictures
And some of the graffiti down there…
Posts : 338 Join date : 2010-05-08 Age : 46 Location : thanet
Subject: Re: Report - Guilford Shaft, July 2009 Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:34 am
like to see this one mate damn them padlocks ;(
Posts : 65 Join date : 2010-08-28
Subject: Re: Report - Guilford Shaft, July 2009 Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 am
Didn't spot this one before - that is cracking graffiti